because you’d be doing yourself no favors if you cut yourself off from this world before you have the chance to experience everything it offers
the good and the bad and the people you’ve yet to meet or the old relationships you’ve yet to rekindle into something better again
take life by the reins
or sit in the backseat and watch the scenery go by, either way, its good to just experience, to take in. theres something out there beautiful and inspiring waiting for you and if it wont fall in your lap, youll have to search for it yourself
and make the journey everything you want it to be. take risks, make mistakes and learn from them. if you dont like some aspect of your life and you cant change it, find something else that you like just as much, let yourself find something you like just as much as you hate the other parts. let yourself be happy and let yourself enjoy the good things as they come. try not to think that itll get worse so soon
when you die, youre dead, thats it. no takebacks. you cant change your mind after its over.
even if you go to an afterlife, you still dont get to experience this realm of existence and even ive found things that im not ready to let go of yet
maybe your happiness niche isnt like other people’s and thats okay. dont let that hold you back from enjoying it
if you like horror, thats fine. if you like death metal, thats fine. if you like putting on a collar and crawling around your house on all fours, thats fine. if its what makes life enjoyable, do it. and dont let anyone take that enjoyment from you. its yours to have, not theirs to judge or diminish.
|—||Stacey Jean Speer (via ainominako)|
I will be better than I am.
|—||(140/365) by (DS)|
|—||Attachments, Rainbow Rowell (via istruggleandemerge)|
don’t sit in your pajamas and reblog posts about how you wish you could be pretty and confident, just do it. Get up early so you can do your hair and makeup all nice for school, flirt with the boys and let them come to you, say “thank you” instead of “no i’m not” when someone calls you pretty, fake that fucking confidence until it’s real, do you understand me? Now go own that red lipstick.
TAKE THIS ADVICE GUYS ITS THE BEST THING YOU COULD EVER DO FOR YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE
1. When your friends ask you to hangout, and you don’t feel like it, don’t go. Don’t ever do things halfway or do something that makes you uncomfortable. With everything, give all of yourself, even the pieces you never knew existed.
2. It is okay to not know. Everyone always despises the phrase, “I don’t know” but no one tells you that it is okay to not know. The becoming is more important than the being, anyways.
3. If someone ever makes you feel less, in any way, you have every right to walk away. You have every right to cut out toxic people in your life. To close the door on people who make you feel bad about who you are or what you stand for. Friends don’t tear down, they build up.
4. Loss is always going to happen. Just like paint will always chip and rain will always fall, loss will always be part of life. No matter how much I don’t like it, or avoid it, it is going to walk my way at several times in my life. Learn to embrace it and learn to get closure.
5. Give yourself a chance. Stop saying, “I don’t think I can” or “But what if I am not able to?” and give yourself a chance. This may be cliche, but try to believe in yourself. When you get older, your knees won’t work the same and you won’t have the best memory, and you are going to wish you’d given yourself a chance years sooner.
6. Fall in love. Don’t be guarded before you fall in love. You could fall in love three times and still not find the right one, but none of it is going to make “the one” matter less. Don’t fall into that idea that your first love has to be your best love. Fall in love as many times as it naturally happens.
7. Firsts are going to be messy. First loves, first kisses, first dates, first failed tests, first college class, first time you drive a car, first time you ride a plane - first times were made to be imperfect. Just because it’s messy and all over the place, doesn’t mean it can’t be good or worthwhile.
8. You want another scoop of ice-cream? Go get it. Get three more scoops of ice-cream if that is what you want. “Fat” is not the opposite of beautiful and it is not the opposite of happy. Don’t let anyone tell you that your body type isn’t beautiful. Beauty is a social construct, create your own, become your own.
9. Let yourself be alone. Loneliness is not a bad thing. It is healthy and normal. Everyone needs to spend a good portion of their life alone. We learn who we are when we are alone; life is less crowded and more clear when we are alone.
10. If you aren’t happy where you are, change it. Quit your job, move, become a vegetarian, get a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, whatever you do - make sure it benefits you. Life is too short to not be alive, to not be passionate, and overflowing.
like tbh i feel like my problem with the “dark and gritty!!” trend in modern stories is this
there’s this idea in our culture that cynicism is realistic? that only children believe in happy endings, that people are ultimately selfish and greedy and seeing with clear eyes means seeing the world as an awful place
that idealism is— easy, i guess. butterflies and sunshine and love are easy things to have in your head.
but i’ve known since i was fifteen that idealism— faith in humanity— optimism— is the most difficult thing in the entire world.
i constantly struggle to have faith in humanity, because it’s really, really easy to lose it. it’s easy to look at the news and go “what were you expecting? of course humans behave this way.” it’s easy to see the world and go “ugh, there’s no hope there.” and the years when i believed that were easy. miserable— but easy.
it is hard work to see the good in people. it is hard work to hope. it is hard work to keep faith and love and joy and appreciation for beauty in my daily life.
and when moviemakers and tv producers and writers go “omg!!! all characters are selfish and act poorly and don’t love each other, nothing ever happens that is happy or good, that’s so much more realistic, that’s so much more adult”
no, it’s not
it’s the most childish thing i can imagine.
Never seek permission to live a spooky life. It is your right, it is within your ability.
You are the cemetery gate keeper to the boneyard surrounding your heart.
|—||Joshua Graham (via outdoor-anarchy)|